At Professional Orthopaedic Associates, we are committed to not only diagnosis and treatment of your orthopaedic conditions, but also the prevention of musculoskeletal disorders, including bone loss. At Professional Orthopaedic Associates, our specialists utilize the latest advancements and techniques when providing an approach to your bone health.
One of the most common conditions contributing to the debilitation of the world’s population is osteoporosis. A silent, progressive disease, osteoporosis affects up to 28 million people and causes increased bone fragility with consequential fractures. Early detection is the key to treatment of osteoporosis and prevention of osteoporotic fractures. For this reason, physicians recommend a DEXA/bone density test, a safe and easy method to measure your bone mineral density (BMD) and determine your risk for osteoporosis.
What to expect when a DEXA bone density test is ordered:
- The bone density test most commonly recommended by doctors is a DEXA (Dual Energy X-Ray Absorptiometry) test.
- The DEXA test is similar to other X-ray tests, only it measures the density of your bones.
- It’s a 10 to 20 minute test that's easy, quick, and painless.
- To prepare for the test, eat and drink normally. Do not take any calcium supplements 24 hours before the test.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing like sweatpants and a T-shirt. Do not wear any metal, such as zippers, snaps, buttons, buckles, or jewelry.
- Your result will be measured as "T-score," which your doctor will review with you during a follow-up visit.
If you are in need of a bone density scan, or would like more information about it, please call Professional Orthopaedic Associates at (732) 530-4949.