New Jersey Monthly magazine recently announced its 2019 Jersey Choice Top Doctors. Among the 1,085 Top Doctors selected were eight of Professional Orthopaedic Associates’ doctors. It is the seventh straight year that Drs. Harry Bade, Christopher Johnson, Brian Torpey, Gregg Foos,
Brian M. Torpey, MD, FACS
Areas of SpecialtyShoulder, Knee, Hip, Elbow, Sports Medicine, Arthroscopic Surgery, Joint Replacement
To view more patient reviews and ratings for Dr. Torpey, please click below.
Voted by his peers as one of 2020's NJ Top Docs
Brian M. Torpey, MD, FACS, is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in surgical treatments for shoulder, elbow, knee, and hip conditions and injuries as well as sports medicine, arthroscopic surgery, and joint replacement. Dr. Torpey joined Professional Orthopaedic Associates in 1995.
After completing his bachelor’s degree at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, Dr. Torpey earned his Doctor of Medicine degree at Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C. He then pursued an internship in general surgery at Monmouth Medical Center in Long Branch, New Jersey, and residency training in orthopaedic surgery at Monmouth Medical Center - Barnabas Health in Long Branch, New Jersey.
Following his residency, Dr. Torpey completed two fellowships. The first was a sports medicine and shoulder reconstruction fellowship at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland, and the second was a pediatric orthopaedic surgery fellowship at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey in Camden, New Jersey.
Dr. Torpey’s years of experience have made him an expert in shoulder, hip, elbow, and knee procedures. His expertise includes fracture care, arthritis, hip impingement, labral tears, rotator cuff injuries, shoulder, hip, and knee replacement and reconstruction as well as minimally invasive procedures for the shoulder, hip, elbow, and knee.
Dr. Torpey is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Torpey enjoys traveling, wine and art collecting, physical conditioning, and skiing.
- Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem, NC
- Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
- General Surgery, Monmouth Medical Center, Long Branch, NJ
- Orthopaedic Surgery, Monmouth Medical Center - Barnabas Health, Long Branch, NJ
- Sports Medicine and Shoulder Reconstruction, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Camden, NJ
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Specialty Board Certification
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Diplomate, Sports Medicine Subspecialty, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- The Georgetown Club of Metropolitan New York
- The Johns Hopkins Medical and Surgical Association
- Medical Society of New Jersey
- Monmouth-Ocean Medical Society
- National Athletic Trainers’ Association
- New Jersey Orthopaedic Society
- New York Academy of Sciences
- Sports Medicine Subspecialty, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Residence Education, Monmouth Medical Center for 2009
- Golden Hands Award for Excellence in Orthopaedic Surgery, Monmouth Medical Center for 2014
- New Jersey Monthly “Top Doctor” Award since 2013
- Orthopaedic Surgery Clinical Instructor, Jersey Shore University Medical Center, Sports Medicine Fellowship Program
- Orthopaedic Surgery Clinical Instructor, Monmouth Medical Center, Orthopaedic Residency Program
- "New Jersey Top Doctor" Award, 2017
- Arthroscopy for the Elbow, Knee, and Shoulder
- Elbow Reconstruction for Ligament, Cartilage, and Fracture Injuries
- Hip Arthroscopy for Labral Tears and Impingement
- Hip Reconstruction for Labral, Cartilage, Arthritis, and Fracture Injuries
- Knee Reconstruction for Ligament, Meniscus, Cartilage, Arthritis, and Fracture Injuries
- Shoulder, Hip, and Knee Replacement Surgery
- Shoulder Reconstruction for Instability, Rotator Cuff, Arthritis, and Fracture Injuries
- Monmouth University
- Georgian Court University
- Brookdale Community College
- Asbury Park High School
- Holmdel High School
- Jackson High Schools
- Keansburg High School
- Lakewood High School
- Long Beach High School
- Matawan Regional High School
- Middletown High Schools
- Monmouth Regional High School
- Ocean Township High School
- Raritan High School
- Red Bank Catholic High School
- Red Bank Regional High School
- Rumson-Fair Haven High School
- Shore Regional High School
- St. Rose High School
- Toms River High Schools
- Cedar Stars Academy (Monmouth)
- CTR Soccer
- Sports City Extreme Speed School
Thank you for choosing Professional Orthopaedic Associates, where we are dedicated to providing each patient with exceptional orthopaedic care. At every visit, you will be given the needed time for a complete evaluation and discussion of your condition.
As a courtesy to our patients, our highly trained specialists will verify insurance benefits before treatment. On your first visit, if requested, our staff will review those benefits with you so that any financial obligations will be known. We accept other insurances on an out-of-network basis. We also accept cash, personal check, and credit card.
To discuss your specific health insurance coverage, you may call our office at (732) 530-4949 and ask for your doctors’ billing and insurance specialist. We will be happy to contact your health insurance company on your behalf.
“If you're looking for an Orthopedic Surgeon, look no further, Dr. Brian Torpey is simply the best. I cannot say enough about Dr. Torpey and his skillful, compassionate, and resourceful mindset. He is extremely intelligent, persistent, and considerate. His calm demeanor, detailed explanations, and bedside manners are superior. I never once felt the sense of discouragement in his voice. His staff is always courteous, kind, and attentive too, especially (but not limited to) LeeAnn, Janis & Maryanne. I experienced a serious injury to my shoulder, and after extensive surgery & treatment by Dr. Torpey, I'm on the road to recovery. Without hesitation, I highly recommend Dr. Brian Torpey to anyone who needs an Orthopedic Surgeon. Thank you, Dr. Torpey.”
– Lawrence A.Patient Rating: