More bikes are hitting the trails and roads as area residents seek safe exercise and fresh air in the wake of COVID-19. To help our community prevent injury as they ride out the pandemic with cycling and mountain biking, sports medicine specialists Dr. Christopher Johnson and Dr. Ryan Plyler of
Christopher D. Johnson, MD, FACS
Areas of SpecialtyHand & Wrist, Elbow, Shoulder, Knee, Sports Medicine, Arthroscopic Surgery
To view more patient reviews and ratings for Dr. Johnson, please click below.
Voted by his peers as one of 2020's NJ Top Docs
Christopher D. Johnson, MD, FACS, is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who specializes in surgical and nonsurgical treatments of hand, wrist, elbow, shoulder, and knee conditions and injuries as well as sports medicine and arthroscopic surgery. Dr. Johnson joined Professional Orthopaedic Associates in 1989.
After completing his bachelor’s degrees in chemistry and physics at Tulane University in New Orleans, Louisiana, Dr. Johnson earned his Doctor of Medicine degree at Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, in Piscataway, New Jersey. He then completed internship training at Middlesex General University Hospital in Middlesex, New Jersey, and residency training at RWJUH, St. Peter's Medical Center in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Dr. Johnson underwent advanced fellowship training in hand and reconstructive surgery at the Indiana Center for Surgery and Rehabilitation of the Hand in Indianapolis, Indiana. He also completed additional fellowship training as a team physician for Rutgers University in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
With extensive training and experience in orthopaedic surgery, Dr. Johnson is an expert in shoulder, elbow, wrist, and hand procedures. His expertise includes the nonsurgical treatment of nerve pressure problems, fracture care, Dupuytren’s contracture, and minimally invasive procedures for carpal tunnel syndrome and sports injuries as well as tendon and nerve repair in the hand.
Dr. Johnson is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the American College of Surgeons.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Johnson enjoys sailing, fishing, boating, working out, and coaching.
- Tulane University, New Orleans, LA
- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway, NJ
- Middlesex General University Hospital, Middlesex, NJ
- RWJUH, St. Peter's Medical Center, New Brunswick, NJ
- Hand and Reconstructive Surgery, Indiana Center for Surgery and Rehabilitation of the Hand, Indianapolis, IN
- Team Physician, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Specialty Board Certification
- Orthopaedic Surgery of the Hand issued by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Health Volunteers Overseas Member
- Internal Arthroscopic Association
- Medical Society of New Jersey
- Monmouth Medical Society
- National Athletic Trainers' Association
- The New York Society for Surgery of the Hand
- St. Vincent Hand Society
- Instructor, Orthopaedic Residency Program, Monmouth Medical Center
- Clinical Appointment, RWJ Medical School
- Professor, Escuela Hospital in Tegucigalpa, Honduras
- New Jersey Monthly “Top Doctor” Award since 2013
- "New Jersey Top Doctor" Award, 2017
- Arthroscopic Surgery for Sports Injuries
- Dupuytren's Contracture
- Fracture Care, particularly for the Elbow, Hand, Shoulder, and Wrist
- Hand Tendon and Nerve Reconstruction
- Minimally Invasive Carpal Tunnel Surgery
- Nonsurgical Treatment of Nerve Pressure Problems
- Pediatric Fractures
- Monmouth University
- Georgian Court University
- Brookdale Community College
- Asbury Park High School
- Holmdel High School
- Jackson High Schools
- Keansburg High School
- Lakewood High School
- Long Beach High School
- Matawan Regional High School
- Middletown High Schools
- Monmouth Regional High School
- Ocean Township High School
- Raritan High School
- Red Bank Catholic High School
- Red Bank Regional High School
- Rumson-Fair Haven High School
- Shore Regional High School
- St. Rose High School
- Toms River High Schools
- Cedar Stars Academy (Monmouth)
- CTR Soccer
- Sports City Extreme Speed School
Thank you for choosing Professional Orthopaedic Associates, where we are dedicated to providing each patient with exceptional orthopaedic care. At every visit, you will be given the needed time for a complete evaluation and discussion of your condition.
As a courtesy to our patients, our highly trained specialists will verify insurance benefits before treatment. On your first visit, if requested, our staff will review those benefits with you so that any financial obligations will be known. Currently, we participate with Medicare. We accept most other insurances on an out-of-network basis. We also accept cash, personal check, and credit card.
To discuss your specific health insurance coverage, you may call our office at (732) 530-4949 and ask for your doctors’ billing and insurance specialist. We will be happy to contact your health insurance company on your behalf.
“Staff is fantastic! Great experience with a beautiful doctor. ”
– Kyle S.Patient Rating: